Thursday, February 08, 2007

Sharing the love, keeping the energy flowing

I spend a lot of time in the car, which means I spend a lot of time on the phone. I know, I’m one of those people you probably honk at. (I actually don’t get very many honks, but I’ve received my fair share of “stop trying to talk on your cell phone and drive at the same time, you wanker” dirty looks.) The point is, when I’m in my car, even if I don’t have anything to say, I like to talk. Uma’s one of the people I call. And I don’t know how, but she always knows when I’m calling her from my car. She’ll be like “hey,” and then I’ll be like “hey,” and then she’ll be like “you’re bored and you’re calling me from your car, aren’t you?” And then I can practically hear her rolling her eyes, because she hates talking on the phone, but I’ve already got her there and she’s stuck. Classic Uma.

I was driving home last night, it was kinda late and kinda foggy, and for a second I forgot that she was in a hospital bed in a fucking coma and I just wanted to call her. And then when I remembered about the hospital bed and the coma and the damned brain aneurysm, I wanted to call her even more. Mostly just to gossip. I’ve met her whole family now and there is so much we need to talk about.

Uma still needs all of our energy focused on her getting out of that bed and being her old, snarky, vibrant self again! She is moving ever so steadily in the right direction. Slowly but surely. (Which is cool, because you know what they say about the tortoise.)

Every day I try to think of something new to ask people to do. To keep Uma at the front of everyone’s minds. So today I was thinking about how much we all just want to get on the phone and call Uma—but since we can’t do that right now, if you want to do something, why don’t you call an old friend who you haven’t talked to in a really long time; or that cousin you love to hang out with at family gatherings who you always say you’re going to hang out with one-on-one but never do; or, hell, whoever—just make sure it’s someone you love a lot who you haven’t talked to in a while. Let’s all make a phone call or two to those people today, and tell them we love them—and maybe mention that you were inspired to call them because your friend Uma is fighting for her life right now—and then, hopefully, they’ll start sending energy and love to Uma in her hospital bed too, and that energy will just keep getting stronger and stronger.

She already feels all of the love coming her way…let’s keep the love and prayers coming!
Things to visualize today:

--Uma’s having a PEG procedure sometime this afternoon, which means they’re moving her feeding tube from her mouth and putting it directly into her stomach. (Which sounds weird and scary, but will actually be much more comfortable for Uma.) So visualize that procedure going without a hitch.

--Visualize continued blood drainage from her brain!

Things to do today:

--keep Vandalizing the World For Uma. (And keep taking pictures! The pictures are awwwwesome. Aimie had a great idea of putting together a book of them, so that we can show the book to Uma when she wakes up.)

--keep dancing for Uma!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

i claim first for urp.

i sure as hell don't feel like dancing these days but that made me realize that there is a perfect song for that.

"i don't feel like dancing" by the scissor sisters.

i've been listening to it everyday (it was actually in my head when i woke up this morning!) and singing it at the top of my lungs and shaking it t'boot.

only for you, ums.

poop, i'm sending you a rainbow connection.

Rebecca said...

1. That was a beautiful post and I am now trying to figure out who to call.
2. I danced with my 2 yr old yesterday and thought of Uma. Toddler energy has GOT to be more potent than old, used grown up Mommy energy!
3. I wish I had a mic for my computer… then I could teach him to say “Uma” in his sweet little voice and put more energy out there for her!

I may not know you, Erik, but especially now with all the love you are putting into the universe for Uma, I think you’re an amazing person.

The Weber School Poland/Israel 2010 said...

how do i send you the vandalized for uma picture?

Erik said...

vfboom boom becca:

you can email me the photo at dimsumday@gmail.com

or if you need to send me a hard copy, send me an email at dimsumday@gmail.com and i'll reply with my mailing address.

xoxo

Susan Jones said...

ok, continued vibes for Um's babes....lots of peeps in Canada...friends and such picking up and sending off....and hugs to you dude, great big 'ole Canadian bear hugs! (hubby is 6'2 with the weight to go with, and believe me, his hugs are bear hugs...you forget the world!...mine are just little boney hugs but hey, I try!)

Anonymous said...

If you wanna jump around and get crazy, this song makes me smile to do an Uma dance to it...

I Bet You Look Good on the Dance floor, by Arctic Monkeys.

Love love love to you and to Ums.

Unknown said...

good call, eleanor! i even have that one on my itunes and had forgotten all about it...

Gina said...

GORGEOUS photo....just gorgeous..

Vibes are flowing like white water rapids....

It's working...I know she can feel the love...

Anonymous said...

I got this trickled down like the waterfall that flows down from the mountain to nourish the earth below. I hope my positive thought for Uma can in some way help nourish Uma in the same way.God Bless her and those who pray for her. Courtney Cretikos

Anonymous said...

Thank you Erik for spreading the word... My thoughts are with Uma.
Mark S