Monday, January 02, 2006

Nothing new

Oh my god. I am such a dork. I'm too neurotic. I just told the stupidest, most inconsequential lie, and now I feel like a dweeb. This is nothing new. This post is not on topic. It's not a New Thing I've done.

Do you ever just hear them come out of your mouth? Lies that have absolutely no reason behind them? Like, someone will ask you, "Have you seen Syriana?" And you'll say, "yes," even though you haven't. And then you have to fake your way through a conversation about Syriana, but all you can really do is parrot reviews you've read because you haven't seen the damn movie?

Or you'll be on the phone with someone and they'll say, "it's raining really hard outside," and you'll say "Is it?" As if you weren't just outside, but you were, so you know how hard it's raining.

I know other people who do this too. And it's not like I do this all the time. I'm not a professional liar or anything. Just an occasional small-talk liar. But I don't mean to do it, that's the thing. When they come out, they just come out.

The reason I bring this up is that a friend of mine just called me. She's a fairly new friend and we've never talked on the phone before. She said my name, and then I said her name, and she was like: "How did you know it was me? Did you recognize my voice?" And then I was like, "yeah." And then she was like, "that's crazy, I didn't think you'd know who this was, but you recognized my voice." And then I felt shameful because she thought I had great voice recognition, but, um, no: her phone number was in my cell. I recognized her voice because I knew it was her before I even answered the phone. Anyway, then we went on with our conversation, and I'm sure she forgot about the moment at the beginning of the conversation when I "recognized her voice," but I'm neurotic, so it's all I can think about, even though it wasn't really that big a deal, and I decided to write a blog post about it to get it off my chest.

Maybe having a blog will make me less neurotic. I can just dump all of my neuroses here and get them out of my head. That'd be nice.

Last week I thought I had strep throat. I went to the doctor. He gave me a strep test. It was negative. He told me I just had a bad sore throat. I didn't believe him. I went to a different doctor. He gave me a strep test. It was negative. He told me I just had a bad sore throat. I didn't believe him, but I didn't have any more doctors to go to. My sore throat went away. I still kinda think I had strep throat, but at least it's gone, finally.

I know. I'm neurotic. I wrote that last paragraph about my sore throat so I could stop obsessing over it.

No comments: