Last week, I alluded to a fairly big New Thing that I had done and I said I’d blog about it later and then I got really busy writing other things. Anyway, here I am, finally blogging about the big New Thing from last week.
New Thing #62: I came out to my brothers. Finally.
Which means I am now gay to everyone in the entire freaking world. (Or, you know, all the people I know.) (And lots of people I don't know, too, I guess.) (I mean, I'm gay to you.)
I don't know why it took me so long to come out to them. There was just this period of time where it was like, "oh man, who else do I have to come out to?" And they got lost in the shuffle. I got tired of having the conversation. But then last week, one morning, I just woke up and I was literally like, "geezus, we're all practically adults now, just trust them and do it already."
So I went to my computer, right then and there, and sent them an email.
Which may sound weird--doing it via email--but it was really kind of perfect. I emailed them and then we had dinner the next night and we talked (a little, not much, but everyone was cool and normal) and now I don’t have this thing hanging over my head.
My brothers are really three rockin’ dudes.
Here’s what the email said…
I miss you guys--we need to hang out soon. I want to let you know a few things:
1. Remember that new years resolution I was talking about making? About doing 365 new things this year? Well I'm doing it. I'm on number 50something right now.
2. I have a blog, if you want to check it out, to keep track of the New Things I'm doing this year, it's My Year of New Things. (I tried doing one new thing a day, but that got too difficult, so I also write about random other things on the blog.)
3. I'm gay. (Maybe you guys already know that, but in case you don't, there ya go.)
4. You don't need to reply to this email. I know the gay thing isn't really an issue and doesn't change anything and we're all cool, I just hate having the "I'm gay" conversation and I thought it was time to get it out in the open.
5. Oh, also, and this is crazy, but: x xxxxxxx xxx xx xx xxxx xxxxxxx xx xxxx xxxx xxx xx xxx xxxxxxx, xx xxxxxxxxxxx xxx xxxx xxxx x xxxxxx-xx-xxx xxxxx Uxx.
6. That's it. Miss you guys.
(Sorry I censored #5, but #5 is something I don’t talk about on the blog.) (I like to maintain at least a smidgen of mystery.) (Unless we’re talking about bowel movements—then I’m an open book.)
P.S. I don't have any group pictures scanned into my computer, so I nabbed the above photos from various places (i.e. MySpace profiles, etc.) and put that little collage together, but that's me and my bros.
P.P.S. an UPDATE: (4/14/06) So I just got a scanner and I've been going through boxes and boxes of old photos. Ninety percent of the photos I have in all of these boxes are from college. Apparently I took A LOT of pictures in college and I have barely taken any since. But I just found a funny picture of "the brothers" from 2001 that I thought I would add to this post: