Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Mincemeat Donuts

I had this really random (and incredibly vivid) dream last night in which I was a working as a donut baker in London, and I'm not going to go into all of the details of the dream because I kinda feel like dreams are rarely interesting to anyone other than the person who had them, but I mention the donut baking because I'm always on the lookout for reasons to move to London and the dream got me thinking, and I realized that I couldn't recollect ever having eaten a donut in London and then all of a sudden I was like, "I should open a donut shop in London," but then I did some research and discovered that they already have Krispy Kreme in London and so that hairbrained scheme got thrown out the window, but then I did some more research and discovered that the Krispy Kreme in London sells a mincemeat donut, and I freaking love the whacky Brits because, hello, do you know what mincemeat is???

First, here's the description of the mincemeat donut from Krispy Kreme's donut:

"Our featured doughnut is a yeast raised doughnut shell, filled with delicious mincemeat, topped with white icing and a sugar holly leaf -- sure to add to your festive cheer."

Okay, after I read that description, I looked up mincemeat and went through a bit of a definition rabbit hole, because the definition of mincemeat I found was essentially "suet" and then I had to look up what "suet" was, and found out, via wikipedia, that "Suet is raw beef or mutton fat, especially the hard fat found around the loins and kidneys."

And then I was like, KRISPY KREME LONDON HAS A DONUT MADE OUT OF RAW BEEF OR MUTTON FAT TOPPED WITH WHITE ICING AND A SUGAR HOLLY LEAF????

And that totally freaked me out, but it also made me kinda want to fly to London immediately and try one of these disgusting donuts because I've never heard of anything so weird.

But then I did a little more research and found another definition ("Mincemeat was originally a conglomeration of bits of meat, dried fruit and spices, created as an alternative to smoking or drying for preservation, a variant form of sausage") with a caveat: "Mincemeat containing actual meat has become less common over the years."

So, the mincemeat donut at Krispy Kreme London is most likely made out of raisins, spices, and apples. But there aren't any ingrediants listed on the website, so knowing the British, I'd say it's probably a 50/50 chance here that the donuts have actual raw meat in them.

But I really want to know now and I'm fucking craving a donut, mincemeat or otherwise.

Oh, and in non-related news, I'm obsessed with little people right now, (as in midgets, but that's not the PC word anymore), but that's another post for another day.

11 comments:

Erik said...

By the way, Eleanor was complaining that I never replied to her last comment, so I'm jumping the gun and saying:

*Hi, Eleanor*

right now.

Anonymous said...

ewww. having british family, i have been a victim of mincemeat pies ever since i can remember. and, i stopped eating them as soon as i had a choice in the matter. the only good thing about a mincemeat pie is homemade hard sauce made with oodles of liquor and butter.

and, you can buy mincemeat in a jar over here in the states to put into pies and pastries. try cost plus world market. or, that groovy british wine and candy shop on larchmont.

or, don't try it at all. egg nog is way better and much more humane. blech mince horse lips.

uqlwdzsz
unforgiving queens love words describing zany shit zuppers

Anonymous said...

You are so minced up. Love this blog, a testimony to your weirdness that is so endearing. Wish you could get a London fix. It will happen one of these days. Soon, I hope.
PAM

Erik said...

Urm, (that was a typo but I'm leaving it), i totally DID reply to your midget comment--I said I was going to talk about midgets in a later post. SHEEEESH.

I love that you have a long history of meat pie eating. That makes so much sense.

happy dogs eat krispy dead goo

Erik said...

Oh, and I am SO happy you brough Eleanor's boobies back.

Erik said...

amis, (that was also a name typo, but i'm leaving it too because that's just the mood i'm in), i love that you also have such a huge history of meat pie eating. i want to take all of your advice on how to make my mincemeat donut dream a reality (i.e. checking out that place in Larchmont), but i also want to use this mincemeat obsession as an excuse to go to London. I'll let you know how that goes.

and now you fucking got me craving egg nog. (I LOVE EGG NOG)

big gay and tan queers

Erik said...

PAM, I neeeeeeed the London fix!!! It was been way too long!!! It's driving me crazy. Seriously. I need to go again before I turn thirty, which is not that far away. I'm going to try to make it happen. xo

Gina said...

I'm going back home to London in May with Matt and my whole fmaily. You should come too. What's one more?

p.s. I'm from London, and I don't think I have ever had a mincemeat pie. Never sounded appealing, especially when there were other great thing to eat like fish and chips, cadburys chocolate and all the delish greek food they have in Golders Green!

Erik said...

Gina, can I stow away in your suitcase???

Anonymous said...

mmmm, cadbury's chocolate and flake bars! and, chocolate oranges. and, orange club bars! and, hello! scones with devon cream and lemon curd! aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh....

Anonymous said...

So, this is kind of late after the fact. BUT, shortly after I read this post about mincemeat I found another post about mincemeat at another blog I read.

http://www.raspberry.co.uk/

This blogger actually made mincemeat, and posts a picture of it, if you're curious. It sounds allright except for the meat part!