Sunday, December 24, 2006

The Year In Review

I’m sitting here at my stepmom and brothers’ house, stuffed with chocolate. I’ve been munching on Hershey’s kisses and I had to tell myself to stop because oh-my-goodness chocolate overload. My brothers are watching a football game and this really hot guy named Colt Brennan just scored a touchdown. Or, at least, the camera keeps cutting to him, so I think he’s the one who scored the touchdown—maybe he’s the quarterback who threw the ball that led to the scored touchdown. Je ne sais pas. It doesn't really matter when there's so much Colt Brennan hotness filling the TV screen.

We’re going to play board games as soon as soon as the football game is over, and we’ll also watch A Christmas Story on TBS. (I watched It’s A Wonderful Life the other night, so I already got my George Bailey fix.) All in all, it’s a nice, mellow Christmas eve with some of my favorite people (my brothers really are some of the coolest people in the world) (and, of course, my stepmom rocks). Also, I just heard some really exciting news from one of my best friends—she and her boyfriend got engaged. I won’t say who I’m talking about in case she wants to tell people herself, but it’s an awesome, happy day.

As a pseudo-Jew who celebrates both Hanukkah and Christmas, happy holidays (whichever ones you might celebrate) to you and all of your loved ones!

*

Okay, and, while I'm waiting for the football game to end and the board games to begin...

As we get ready to welcome 2007, I'd like to take a quick look back at 2006, with a YEAR IN REVIEW.

I got this idea from BonBon. The instructions on her blog were as follows: “Take The First Line From The First Post Of Each Month Of 2006. That's Your Year In Review.”

JANUARY 2006: I have decided that 2006 will be "my year of new things."

FEBRUARY 2006: I have never worn a skin-tight lime green spandex superhero costume.

MARCH 2006: That's right. I rock. I roll. I rock'n'roll. I rule.

APRIL 2006: So, if you read the comments on my blog, you know my NBFF Bonnie.

MAY 2006: My freshman roommate was a guy named Tomo. By all accounts, he’s a really good guy. I wouldn’t know. I never met him.

JUNE 2006: So, like, I'm supposed to wake up in six hours to go substitute for a kindergarten class and I'm simply not tired, even though I know I'm going to be really mad at myself in six hours when I have to wake up and then I'm going to be even madder at myself the rest of the day while I'm trying to keep track of a bunch of five-year-olds, and teach them how to spell words like "frog" and "dog," but it's really hard for me to get to sleep before 1-ish.

JULY 2006: New Thing #108: I've been to the driving range before, and I've played mini-golf, but I've never actually been on a full-fledged golf course before. Now I have.

AUGUST 2006: "Captain Planet's hair is made of trees and his body's made of the ocean."

SEPTEMBER 2006: 1. I am so dirty right now.

OCTOBER 2006: Yesterday, I spent five hours volunteering at my friend Christina's church fundraiser.

NOVEMBER 2006: Yesterday, I was talking to some students about The Scarlet Letter--we were talking about Point of View, and the difference between third person and first person--and I actually asked the students: "How do you think the book would have been different if Nathaniel Hawthorne had written it in the first person? From Scarlet's point of view?"

DECEMBER 2006: 1. To those of you who expressed interest in the Sophie's Choice book club (are you all reading?), I have to admit that I haven't started the book yet.

(Wow, reading over the first sentences of each month like that? Sounds like I had a really boring year. But it wasn't boring. At all. We had a time, didn't we? Oh, yeah--we had a time.)

2 comments:

Erik said...

oh yeah. we did. we had a time.
xo

Anonymous said...

happy holidays, my dear erik! a time was had, for sure.
xo
lindsay